Let me start by saying that aromatherapy and massage are great tools for those with long term illnesses and in my Cambridge and Trumpington practice I have a number of these people as clients. However, as a therapist, I need to be aware of a few things.
- A client may need to cancel at short notice. They may have to do this even with long term arrangements with close friends so I need to be more flexible than with my other clients.
- They may not be able to tolerate the same pressure as most of those coming for massage or this may change from time to time – I need to check out every time.
- Those with long term illnesses are often used to covering up the extent of their pain or illness. I need to be sensitive to this and able to find out what I need to as a therapist without making them uncomfortable.
- I need to know my limitations. Certain conditions such as Multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease and others are never going to go away, no matter how good a therapist I am.
- With some of these clients I need to be responsive and see them on the same day they have the energy to pick up the phone and call me.
Many of these clients will suffer from depression at least from time to time. (If chronic pain is part of the condition, over 75% of sufferers get depression.) Many of the oils I use can help with this including Bergamot, Jasmine, Rose, Rosemary and many others.
Choosing oils is always something I do with the client as using an oil they really don’t like the smell of is going to be counter productive. I have yet to find someone where there isn’t an alternative to the one I would pick as my first choice when they don’t like it.
I also note that many of the things I write about conditions that may be more problematical are really just good practice anyway, e.g. asking about how much pressure a client wants.
So if you have a chronic condition and would just love to have some time to be pampered, get a little relief from what you are going through or just have some time that is for you alone,
Call 07939273569 or email firstname.lastname@example.org